Creating a Culture of Health in Appalachia: Disparities and Bright Spots
Request for Proposals (RFp) Practical Recommendations and Strategies to Support Positive Health Outcomes in Appalachia
The Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky is partnering with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) and the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) to explore health in the Appalachian Region through a series of research reports. To date, this multi-part health research initiative—“Creating a Culture of Health: Disparities and Bright Spots”—has produced the following reports:
- Health Disparities in Appalachia (August 2017) measures population health in Appalachia and documents disparities between the Region and the nation as a whole, as well as disparities within the Appalachian Region.
- Identifying Bright Spots in Appalachian Health: Statistical Analysis (July 2018) describes the results of the regression analysis used to assess how each of the 420 Appalachian counties scored on 19 different health indicators and then identifies counties with better-than-expected outcomes, given their characteristics and resource levels. Forty-two Appalachian counties were identified as Bright Spots.
- Exploring Bright Spots in Appalachian Health: Case Studies (July 2018) presents in-depth studies of 10 of the 42 Bright Spot counties identified through the statistical analysis. This report explores local perceptions of practices and activities that may be associated with better-than-expected health outcomes.
In addition to the reports, an interactive website, HealthinAppalachia.org, has been launched, which houses data from the reports and offers customizable, downloadable reports, maps, and charts. Taken together, these products provide a basis for understanding and addressing health in the Appalachian Region and identifying factors that support a Culture of Health in Appalachian communities.
This RFP solicits proposals for the fourth report in the series. This report will synthesize the findings of the first three reports to identify health challenges in Appalachia and recommend practical strategies and actions to address those challenges. The recommended strategies and actions should foster and support positive health outcomes throughout the Appalachian Region and be tailored to at least three key groups of stakeholders: community leaders, funders, and policymakers.
The partners’ ultimate goal is that, together, the four reports produced through this initiative will provide the key groups of stakeholders with:
- A comprehensive overview of population health throughout the Appalachian Region;
- An overview of local assets and community-based activities that may support positive health outcomes; and
- Data tools, practical recommendations, and policy guidance that can be used by communities and their partners as they work to improve health outcomes and socioeconomic vitality throughout Appalachia.
DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF PROPOSALS is 5:00 PM Eastern Time – September 14, 2018.